Manila Office Life

18 March 2008

Movie: Dan In Real Life

Managed to watch the movie Dan In Real Life last night.

Admittedly, I wasn't expecting much. This movie starred Steve Carell, Dane Cook, and Juliette Binoche in a heartwarming comedy about relationships, surprises, and how long it takes to fall in love (hint: it's between 2 and 4 days). Steve Carell is Dan Burns, who works as an advice columnist for a major newspaper. Supposedly an expert on relationships, Dan struggles throughout the movie in relationships with his 3 daughters, his brothers, his parents, and, of course, the women he meets.

This movie, strangely enough, resonated with me on a very primal level. The interplay between Dan and his many relationships struck a chord in me and I think it would find common ground with many folks. In a way, I guess we all struggle through our various relationships. If, by some miracle of chance or fate they happen to work out, then they become that much more precious. I'm no movie critic but I would say that Steve Carell was able to bring out the character in a very meaningful (and surprising) way. Juliette Binoche, with her characteristic understated European charm, serves as the perfect sophisticated and cosmopolitan foil to the highly middle America feel of Dan's entire family.

All in all, I'd highly recommend this movie to anyone who wants to feel that there's always a chance the pretty girl (or handsome guy, way to be politically correct) in the bookstore could be your soulmate.

Yeah, yeah, it's pretty sappy. Watch it anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home