Manila Office Life

11 September 2007

Quiet 1-Day Leaves

Rewarded myself with a quiet 1-day vacation leave from work yesterday.

Woke up at 11.30am, having slept at around 2am the night before. I think vampire life suits me. Had to run a few household errands to take advantage of the extra hours then settled in to catch a few movies I'd been intending to watch for the longest time.

1. The Prestige (Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson; d: Christopher Nolan). This was a truly excellent movie which I'd been saving for a special viewing. The plot was highly engaging, stringing the viewer along till the very end; quite literally, till the prestige. The characters were well-played and the setting really brought out the nuances of the story. A highly recommended movie all around. I would commend especially the performance of Michael Caine which, while understated, provided just the right foil for the high-powered and polarized characters of Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale, respectively.

2. The Maltese Falcon (Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre; d: John Huston). Hearkening back to a time when private eyes were men of power and cunning and women were called "dames" and were dangerous and slick as hell, this movie is a classic, and rightfully so. Portraying the quintessential private eye Sam Spade, Humphrey Bogart gives an inspired performance, seeing through deception with a critical eye while retaining a vulnerable side to the deceitful yet lovely Brigid O'Shaughnessy (played by the oh-so-seemingly innocent Mary Astor). Truly a movie for fans of the film noir genre and detective movies in general.

3. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Robert Downey Jr, Val Kilmer, Michelle Monaghan; d: Shane Black). Deciding I'd had enough period films for one day, I felt the need for a more modern movie to cap off my day. Having heard a mention of this movie in an episode of Veronica Mars, I felt I owed it to myself to see this film. With a highly convoluted plot including numerous plot twists and surprises, the movie did not fail to satisfy. While the acting was slightly off-kilter, the fast-paced writing and action served to gloss that over. Besides, Michelle Monaghan as Harmony Faith Lane was simply too good to pass up. Something to watch on a rainy afternoon.

That's about it for me. Till next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home