Manila Office Life

12 June 2005

Moving Forward

I found out one of my High School buddies is getting married in December. This is, of course, in addition to one of my University buddies getting married in September. This is also in addition to one of my work buddies who got married 2 weeks ago.

I think you're beginning to get the drift of this post.

Right now, I'm a thirty-something working stiff whose siblings are all unmarried. Note that I'm the youngest of 3 siblings. For my parents, this will not do at all. In spite of the city's large size, we're a fairly small community. Instead of 6 degrees of separation, it's usually just 3 and, of that 3, one will most likely be a blood relative. The community here's fairly close-knit.

Suddenly, among my high school buddies, only 2 of us are still single (and the other one works in the USA). Every time we have a reunion, the married-single quotient becomes bigger and bigger. My parents remind us constantly about the need for family and their need for grandchildren.

Can't say I blame them. Dad's pushing 70 and Mom's pushing 60. Not many grandparental years left if you consider courtship, marriage, and pregnancy. The clock's ticking, even for a guy like me. And I thought only women had a biological clock.

This is getting depressing. I feel the sudden urge to open one of the bottles of wine here and just let loose. But, no, that would be a singular waste of an excellent bottle of Australian Shiraz.

I hate myself.

1 Comments:

  • >sigh<

    well, at least you're enjoying the single life.

    or are you? :)

    By Blogger tabbygirl, at 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home