Manila Office Life

26 July 2005

More Home PC Woes

My computer hates me.

Why do I say this? I had some problems with it before when some really severe voltage fluctuations burned out my PC's power supply. This was, of course, easily remedied as power supply parts are cheap and readily available. The technician who fixed her up advised me to reformat my hard drive and re-install all my software to avoid file corruption. According to him, the PC would be good for a few days (during which time I was supposed to archive my important documents) before giving in to corrupted data packets or some such.

Of course, being an obedient fellow, I promptly archived all of my files (mostly clips of TV episodes I planned on watching when I had the chance) to keep in a safe place. After which, I went through the tedious and laborious process of re-installing Windows XP.

This went on for quite a while. Aside from simple Windows XP, I had to download and install all the hardware drivers for my PC's various components. Having done so (at great trouble, mind you), I proceeded to download and install the necessary tools of the trade for all netizens. Tools of the trade = firewall and antivirus software. Now, I was ready to rock and roll. Everything was going so well until I decided to install my original store-bought version of Neverwinter Nights (NWN).

Now, I'd played the game before with no problems at all on my pre-burned-out PC. I had noticed that the system would hang after roughly 10 minutes running NWN prior to my reformat and reinstall. I assumed this would no longer be a problem.

I was wrong.

Right on cue, the system seized up and refused to budge without a hard reset. Damn. Not a software problem then but a hardware failure. The graphics card perhaps? Or a malfunctioning memory chip on the motherboard? Duh?!? What the hell did a bloke like me know about this?

Now, I have to archive everything all over again (having downloaded some slam bang new stuff) and then send it back to the shop. All that effort just went for naught.

*sigh*

3 Comments:

  • I'm going through this thing where 80% of the files I'm downloading on LimeWire are corrupted. I used to think this was the RIAA messing with LimeWire, but now I'm not so sure.

    You see, the last two system crashes I had were analyzed by Microsoft (I chickened out and bought an original OEM WinXP CD) and, lo and behold, the cause of my troubles was my antivirus software.

    Merci beaucoup, Software Associates.

    ;) Manny Neps

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:25 PM  

  • please update. i visit this everyday.:)

    By Blogger undiscussablerealms, at 6:14 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés, at 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home